What brands need to know about IGTV
- Videos are full screen and vertical
- Video length is 15 seconds to 60 minutes (The full 60 minutes is currently only available to larger accounts or verified accounts. Everyone else has a limit of 10 minutes.)
- Users can watch inside the Instagram app or on the IGTV app
- Videos play automatically for users upon opening the IGTV app
- Creators can add “swipe up” call-to-actions on videos
- Within the IGTV app, users have the option to browse between “For You,” “Following,” “Popular,” and “Continue Watching” tabs
- Engagement: users can like or comment on videos, or send videos to friends in Direct
- Creators have their own channels, like YouTube (and anyone can be a creator)
- Videos can be uploaded to the IGTV app or the web
- Videos on IGTV can also be uploaded to Facebook Watch
- File size: up to 3.6GB
- File type: .MP4
- Video size: 9:16
- Video thumbnail / cover image: .JPG
- As of launch, no advertising options are available, but Instagram says it eventually plans to make sure popular video creators are able to make money from their efforts
You don’t have to be a TV executive to know what kind of video content will resonate with your audience. But, it’s clear that Instagram is positioning IGTV as a home for content that entertains, rather than short personal updates. If you’re not sure what your followers might want to see on your channel, it never hurts to ask.
Keep in mind that Instagram users are more likely to follow people they don’t know than users on other platforms, and that younger audiences tend to prefer amateur content to professional, polished content. Furthermore, IGTV was created with a mobile-first audience in mind, unlike YouTube (where videos are often played on desktop and always horizontal, similar to TV).
In any case, before jumping into IGTV, it will be important to build a social video strategy for your brand and get equipped with our social video toolkit. Or, if you already have a social video strategy, you’ll need to figure out how IGTV fits into it. With a built-in audience nearly as large as YouTube, IGTV will certainly be hard to ignore.
Shannon is the Inbound Marketing Specialist at Hootsuite